It is considered one of the three most important in the Iberian Peninsula. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931.
It was built in the year 875 by Abd-al-Ramman Ibn Marwan “The Yilliqui”. Next to her, the first city of Badajoz, of which it has news, was known as Batalyaws. The current fortress corresponds to the reforms carried out during the Almohad period in the 12th century. Located on the hill of La Muela, on the left bank of the Guadiana River, it dominated the entire city of Badajoz, which came to have several mosques, public baths, markets … In its interior, luxurious Arabian palaces were built. Renaissance style, like that of the Dukes of Feria, or as a good example of a noble-fortified residence, that of the Counts of La Roca, with a beautiful Mudejar cloister, which currently houses the Provincial Archaeological Museum.
He enjoyed his time as mayor splendor in the 11th century, during the Aftásida dynasty, which founded the Taifa Kingdom of Badajoz. During these years, the Arab kingdom of Badajoz became one of the most important, extensive and influential of the Iberian Peninsula. The arts and sciences were also cultivated, with the largest Arabic encyclopedia in Spain being written here.